View Single Post
Old 12-27-2010, 12:56 PM   #9
Maximo
♥ Maximo and Teddy
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dklegner View Post
A trainer oncve told me that if you give your dog a treat for doing something you need to be right by it's side and giving it as soon as the job is done. If you wait until it comes in then it thinks it is getting the treat for coming in not going to the bathroom.
I have read the same thing in many training books, that the reward needs to be given instantly, otherwise the dog won't connect it with the desired behavior. My experience with my 2 boys has been that if I give praise immediately and say "How about a treat?," the dogs know what they are being treated for when they trot to the kitchen to receive their reward. They know they aren't being rewarded for going to the kitchen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDogBoots View Post
My 7 month old Max is a Tell Bell ringing lunatic and trickster. He rings it all day long, whether he wants to go potty or sit outside in the sun. He rings it so hard that every single time it flips over. When I ignore him, he takes it in his mouth into another room.

He started something new last week. He and Cooper were teasing back and forth with a toy. After about 1/2 hour of play, Max gets up and slams the bell repeatedly. "Oh good he needs to potty", I think. So i get up, walk to the door, turn the knob and open it. Cooper and I go outside while Max darts back to where Cooper left the toy!! He now tricks Cooper and myself to open the door so he can get his toy.
Max, don't tell your mommy, but I think you are very clever and funny. Teeheeheee. Maybe you shouldn't tell Cooper either.

Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!