View Single Post
Old 12-16-2005, 09:00 PM   #4
hunniebunnie
Follower of Yorkietology

first off, at 12 weeks, the puppy won't be potty trained yet. not by a long shot. it'll take months of constant supervision to ensure potty training is done quickly and effectively. it took a friend of mine nearly a year to housebreak and potty train her puppy because she had to work.

second off, a puppy wont' know the difference between #1 and #2, only that it has to "go". when it gets older then it can slowly tell the difference with proper training. another friend of mine trained her dog to use a bell, one ding for pee, two dings for poo. it's the cutest thing. but it took her months to train for the desired behavior.

thirdly, teaching a puppy not to bite and chew on furniture, cabinets, and tables while it's teething is like telling a two year old not to scratch an itch. but some things that might help are, bite inhibition training, enough toys to keep it occupied, spray taste deterrents like bitter apple on things you don't want it to chew on may help, and confining it to a smaller space so it can't do that much damage. puppies teeth through month 7 or 8 of it's life i believe. so expect several months of gnawing, chewing, nipping and biting before it grows out of it.

a search for "housebreaking", "crate training", "potty training a dog", "bite inhibition" etc here and in google will yield a lot of good info to start with. of course obedience classes will also help in the proper training of your new pet. with enough patience and tenacity, you'll get through the first year or so of annoying puppy habits and continue to enjoy your doggie for years to come.
hunniebunnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!