View Single Post
Old 12-27-2010, 10:48 AM   #6
FlDebra
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Welcome & condolences on the loss of Bentley. Hope you are comforted by the many great memories you must have over 14 years. Congrats on your two new family additions! House-training is a tough one. I am still working on my little Annie. If I say outloud that she is house-trained, I wind up having a few accidents immediately so I will whisper -- she is doing pretty good!

Confining to a smaller space is the best tip I can give. I see you already have a link to follow and that will get you started in the right direction. Here are a couple of ideas to give the pups more room than a crate but more confined when you are not right next to them:

This is the one I use. I make it into a rectangle and 3 of the large sized pee pads will cover the bottom. Then I put the bed at one end, the food & water near it, and leave the other end for potty business: North State Superyard XT Portable Playard and Gate - Walmart.com

Walmart.com: IRIS 4 Panel Indoor/Outdoor Plastic Pen White: Dogs

I like these as they are plasti, light weight, easy to move around, and very easy to clean.

I free feed, so determining the best time for potty is a little harder. If you are feeding 3 times a day, then you can figure they will need to potty 20-30 min. after eating. If you are having them out with you, I would still put them back in for potty every 2 hours minimum, while they are awake.

Always praise like crazy and give a small treat when they potty where they are supposed to. If they do it where they are not supposed to, just say no, show them the potty pads, and let it go. No punishment. They will just start trying to hide it from you. With two, it is already difficult to know who does the accidents.

I know you are going to have great fun! Two puppies!
FlDebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!