View Single Post
Old 12-21-2010, 03:27 PM   #3
107barney
T. Bumpkins & Co.
Donating YT Member

I'm sorry you are feeling pressured by this trainer. I think there is a benefit to crate training so that when you have to crate your dog like for a trip to the vet or something like that, the dog won't be upset. I don't keep mine in crates either and never really did except for short periods. I did teach them the "kennel up" command and they will go into their crates on command...because it means something delicious is coming their way. Over the years I have reinforced the command so that I know that if I must crate them for a medical reason, they won't be stressed out by the crate....instead, it's a safe place where something yummy usually comes their way.

With all that being said, I think you should talk to this trainer very frankly and thank her for the information but tell her you reject it. Just be point blank about it. A good trainer works WITH YOU for your home and situation and I think a nice reminder to her about that is in order.

Good luck, try not to let this get you down on training - we've been doing obedience since ours were puppies and it is so rewarding to really be able to communicate with your dogs and have them be good citizens.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!