View Single Post
Old 12-20-2010, 10:26 PM   #45
smepperson
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiLuv View Post
This type of training is negative reinforcement and is not the greatest approach.
You never want to physically reprimand your dog, they learn to associate you with bad things and fear you. They then do what you want because they are afraid and not because it makes you both happy and this can lead to worse problems down the road.
Most dogs learn much better with positive reinforcement. You must replace the behavior you don't want with something you do want. For example, puppy is chewing on your favorite shoe- say "no" in a firm manner then give him a proper chew toy then give him a little treat and happy praise "good boy" for chewing on the toy. I took Chibi to petsmart training classes and liked them a lot. I would ask your next trainer if they do "positive reinforcement" training and if not go somewhere else. Your pup should have good expierences learning, not bad ones.
Was that Petsmart or Petco? My vet suggests petco but I'm not sure. Also were they puppy classes? I am having the same problems with my Teddi (believe it or not). All was going well until I started to use the hand 'nipping' correction and now he barks at me and challenges me more than ever. It's maddening because I just want him to like me. He seems to get truly annoyed at me and the last hing I want to do is make him afraid. I want him to know that he is not the alpha but that he is safe and secure as well.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!