View Single Post
Old 12-20-2010, 09:56 AM   #14
Cha Cha
Donating YT 500 Club Member

I have seen and treated a lot of abcesses in my life (although not on a small dog) where they had to be lanced. It has always been my experience that through the healing process it looks like tissue around the abcess area dies, and that is part of the process. It should stop dying and healing tissue should take over again The thing with an abcess is it is deep tissue, and must heal from within as I am sure your vet has told you. This is part of the healing process and can seem quite slow. I have also seen some wounds where the hide is missing and muscle tissue is exposed. This always looks quite disturbing and sometimes, even though the tissue you see looks dead it can just be dry from a lack of skin covering. My point is that even though it may look really really bad, it may still be healing like it should be. I think you and your family know your dog best and have great medical vets to help you make the best informed decisions regarding her care. I am so sorry this happened and you are having to go through this tough time.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!