View Single Post
Old 12-16-2005, 08:53 AM   #1
momofreese
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default New to site. Please give me advice.

Hi to all. I am new to this site but already love it.

We have a three year old female, spayed yorkie who is extremely overweight. We have tried everything to reduce her weight. I have changed her food about three times and nothing seems to work. We have had her on Eukanuba vet prescribed Optimum weight loss, which did nothing. I then changed her myself to Natural Choice lite, which again did absolutely nothing for her. I now have her on Wellness lite, which isn't helping her to lose weight. The only thing it seems to be doing is making her stool extremely hard.

She has a sensitive stomach and often goes through periods of time where she vomits, bile. She is ALWAYS hungry. We do not give her any treats, other than a few kibbles of whatever food she is eating. We do not give her human food anymore, although we have tried raw vegetables which she will eat, but it doesn't really help. She still seems to be starving. We do not even give her bones of any kind anymore since she often would throw up and I had thought that contributed. As a matter of fact she just threw up as I am posting this. She inhales her food, and a problem with wellness is that the kibbles are quite large. I soak them in warm water for a few minutes but it doesn't seem to do much. She eats her food in two seconds, it's no wonder she throws up constantly.

If she isn't sleeping she is miserable and always brings me into the kitchen and stares at her food and cries. My daughters and even husband accuse me of starving her and will yell at me for only giving her 1/8 to 1/4 cup of food twice daily. She is about ten pounds and according to her vet, she shouldn't be more than 7 or 8.. based on her bone structure.

I know a big problem is that she hates any type of exercise. She is wee wee pad trained which contributes to this problem since she does not have to be taken out for walks. Even when she does, she will lie down and I end up carrying her each time we take her out. She at times even cries for us to pick her up to go from room to room, since she apparentely doesn't like floor changes.. carpet to wood.

Yes, she is spoiled and I do take her everywhere with me, and she ends up being held. We do play ball with her, but after a few minutes she has had enough. She sounds like me.

Does anyone have any advice on how to reduce her weight. I do not want to put unnecessary weight on legs/hips or cause any additional health problems for her. Could someone please recommend something. I am going crazy trying to reduce her weight and still letting her remain happy. My vet keeps insisting that if she looks like "that" she is getting enough food, yet she acts as if she is being starved by us.

If anyone knows of a healthy weight reduction food with small enough kibbles, please let me know. We are almost ready to let her use my treadmill, although I can see her flying off the back of it. We have even tried to have her swim in our not too large bathroom tub.. she hates it.

I am sorry for the long post, but if anyone can give me any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

I am glad that someone recommended this site to me, it seems terrific. Thank you for your time and have a great day.

Randy and Reese
momofreese is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!