View Single Post
Old 12-18-2010, 10:34 AM   #1
roseylovestosho
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Unhappy Had a private trainer come into my home...

I wanted to have a trainer make an in-home visit to see Teddy. Although I understand that puppies bite, I wanted to find a way to teach him that it is not OK to bite or growl...well she offered to tap under the chin or grab him by the scruff of the neck and say no! when he bites. He quickly got the hint and stopped biting while she was here and even went to his crate with ears down to lie down. When she was leaving he came up to her to be pet by her and she left. She also suggested to do the pennies in a can bit if he is jumping or chewing on something inappropriate. Since she left yesterday, I've been trying to do what she says except for the first time Teddy is avidly growling at me...and now he even tries biting me when I put my hands in his cage....I don't feel as if I'm being effective because I feel bad grabbing him by the back of the neck or tapping him under the chin...it only seems to aggravate him more and its only making me upset...he's clearly not hurt by what I'm doing (he doesn't yelp or anything) but I don't know if I can continue to correct him this way? I don't feel comfortable and would really appreciate everyone's input on what to expect or what not to expect in dog trainers...
roseylovestosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!