View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010, 04:34 PM   #3
Ashley V
♥ Chip ♥ Smokey ♥
Donating Member

The vet should take some blood work before he goes in for his neuter just to make sure he's okay to go through with the procedure... I don't know what kind of blood work, but maybe someone will come one here later and know what ones to ask the vet about. As for age, I think most people try to do around 6 months or a little later. I personally wouldn't do it any earlier than 6 months and it would depend on the size of your dog. Chip was sick so often as a puppy that I didn't want to stress his body with anesthesia, so I waited until he was 9 months. He doesn't have any behavioral issues or anything, which is one thing people are concerned about with waiting to long. Smokey was already neutered at 6 months when we brought him home, so I don't know when he actually got neutered. It's really between you and your vet though as to deciding the age to get it done. You'll know what is best for your particular dog and your vet should be able to make recommendations and give advice based on your concerns.

Karley Marissa born 1/20/12 weighing 8 lbs 11 oz and 21.5 inches long
Ashley V is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!