View Single Post
Old 12-13-2010, 08:57 AM   #4
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmaniMan View Post
Honestly- this sounds like a TON of time in a crate- if I counted right- he is out of his crate less than 6 hours a day!

If I were you, I would find a dog walker who can come in at least once during the day and take your little one out for a while- I would also consider investing in an expen type set up so that he at least has access to food, water, pee pads, beds, and toys while he is confined.
I agree. 8am-5pm is 9 hours in the crate during the day. Then he's in the crate again another 8 hours over night. That's 17 hours in the crate out of a 24 hour day.

If you're going to do the crate thing, you need to do it right, or else it won't work. 9 hours in a crate is even too long for the Boxer I dogsit, who is about 80lbs and can hold his bladder longer than a small dog. The longest they leave him in a crate is 6hrs and I'd say 6hrs is the maximum I'd recommend as well. I also watch a Rottweiler and a few other large breed dogs and none of them are left in a crate for longer than 5-6hours.

Dog day care, a dog walker, or something is going to be necessary. Or if you're going to lock him in a kitchen or an ex-pen, you need to start by putting pads ALL over the floor.... that way he has no choice but to pee on the pad. You slowly begin to remove the pads one by one, it's a slow process. The first week - the whole floor is covered in pads. The second week -you take one of those pads away. Third week - you take another pad away... and eventually get down to just one pad.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!