View Single Post
Old 12-12-2010, 06:17 PM   #11
Maximo
♥ Maximo and Teddy
Donating Member

The first thing to do is relax and know that even when things seem hopeless, there will be a day when each thing clicks with your pup. Be persistent.

I'm partial to the name Teddy, by the way.

Waiting on the rabies until 6 months is good, but it is one of the important ones. I started walking Max at 4 months, most people advise waiting. Be careful and talk to your breeder and vet.

For using a toy as bait for walking, keep the toy in your hand while you are standing upright. The show people use "flat rats," which I believe are often a rabbit fur. Hold it out in front of your pup, then closer to his nose and pull it away and he should follow.

For attaching the leash, work on training to "stand still." I use plain old kibble to train my guys. It's their favorite. Try putting your one hand under his belly so that he is straddling your arm, his head facing the palm of hand, and his legs unable to go anywhere. Tell him to stand still and attach the leash with your other hand. Do the same for unleashing him. If he rolls on his back, turn him over and put him into position.

Make everything a happy experience. Be firm, but use positive reinforcement.
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!