View Single Post
Old 12-12-2010, 05:12 PM   #3
Maximo
♥ Maximo and Teddy
Donating Member

If you aren't already, use a 3 foot leash or shorter attached to Theodore's harness. Hold it taught, straight up toward you to make it difficult for him to turn and chew the leash. You may also want to try Bitter Apple spray on the leash to make chewing undesirable. When he does chew, say "uh uh uh" and try to manipulate him back into the correct position.

Find a really desirable squeaky toy and designate it as your walking toy. Don't use it for normal play in the house. Use the toy to direct your pup forward, walking.

Maintain a calm and confident demeanor. Don't show any frustration or impatience. If you demonstrate walks are fun, your pup will follow your lead. Be sure to give praise when he does things right. Show him you are really happy. These guys want to please.

For teaching bite inhibition, check out the sticky at the top of this training forum. I agree, using the crate for a timeout is not a good idea. The crate should be a safe place. Withholding your attention is usually sufficient. If he nips, no more attention. You can yip and get up and walk away.

Growling over his toys is something to address immediately. Start working on playing fetch or playing in general and then have "clean up" time. I found that with raising my pup, talking was beneficial" "Okay Max, let's clean up before we go to bed. Let's put the toys away. Yea!" Respond to growling with the "uh uh uh," as in no, no, no.

Forget the forced physical submission stuff. Stick to positive reinforcement and setting a good example. If you are calm and in control, and happy, your pup will learn to be as well.

Hope some of this helps.
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!