View Single Post
Old 12-10-2010, 06:23 PM   #6
concretegurl
Between♥Suspensions
Donating Member

Icon2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britster View Post
You've been giving good advice, and asked some great questions that would be helpful of you to answer.

First off, if she is getting sprayed with water every time your daughter walks in the room, she's associating your daughter with that spray. So now in her mind, it's "daughter walks in the room, I get sprayed, I'm going to growl". I am not against using a spray bottle for unnecessary barking, etc, but for making positive associations with a particular person, it's definitely not going to work.

Wagging tail does not equal playfulness, or happiness, by the way.

She is resource guarding, which is a VERY serious issue and can quickly escalate into more. I don't exactly correct when a dog does it to another dog, because they're speaking in their language, and sometimes it's okay to let them work it out, but for a dog to growl or bite at the human who FEEDS them... is a HUGE no-no in my book.

You need to take things slow. Every time the daughter comes in the room, have her throw treats on the ground. No need to try to pet the dog, or reach down, don't even make eye contact... just every time your daughter comes in the room, she casually drops her favorite treats on the ground, and that's that. You can eventually work up to petting VERY slowly. If possible, have the daughter feed the dog breakfast or dinner, take her for walks, play with toys, fun things, etc.

I don't think a muzzle is entirely necessary because you don't want to use it as a crutch. You want her to learn to behave and don't want to have a dog accustomed to being muzzled while your daughter, your own family, is over. I also don't necessarily believe in 'time outs' for dogs because dogs mind don't really comprehend it. They're not like kids that go into a room and think about what they've done wrong... they just know they're in there, they don't know why.

But I would suggest hiring a professional pet behaviorist to work on this issue.
Thanks, and ooooowwwwwahh I like the dropping of treats method way better than the muzzle idea! That was step two for us. It's so awesome that despite any learning we do-we can always learn a better way! I actually reluctantly used the muzzle (on the advice and under the advice of a local behaviorists) as my dog got nippy with the kids for a period and it couldn't be risked at all-I read daughter and just went into protective mom mode-with an adult or older child yeah totally using positive associations like treats with that person is way better (and you can risk a bite that may or may not occur). Sometimes I go into emergency reactive mode rather than a better one-but then again I have small children around and it changes the game quite a bit...ignore me and go with Britster
concretegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!