View Single Post
Old 12-09-2010, 08:21 AM   #5
jencar98
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkieRose View Post
Here's the problem...Bitches DO NOT read books...so I never go by the book!!!!
There is no age ideal for each bitch IMO..you evaluate the bitch, her size, development, quality and maturity.
I feel comfortable breeding 18 mos to 5 yrs...but never to say I would not breed a 6 yrs old..7 is not for me..8 is beyond my thinking...and that is because I want two or three nice litters from bitch and then spay her...my goal is not to see how many litters I can get from a bitch...I spayed a champion bitch at 5 1/2 ...and the vet said there was no reason she could not have two more litters...but I wanted her to be done and she lived the rest of her life as my daughers pet.

I have seen bitches who were bred long and often...they are worn out and have given too much physically to live a long retirement life...
I feel I owe everything to my bitches..nothing is too good for them...and just because they can be bred does not mean they should..it is up to me to decide wisely what is ethical and humanly right to do for my animals...and non-stop breeding smacks of puppymillers IMO...
....perfect! Nothing to add but thank you, Pat, for being the type of breeder I'm proud to know!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!