View Single Post
Old 12-08-2010, 07:05 PM   #10
lisaly
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDogBoots View Post
Being Jewish, I definitely have a different outlook on this. While I certainly won't lose any sleep when someone says Merry Christmas to me and I graciously reply the same if they celebrate Christmas, I would much prefer if someone acknowledges my holiday and says "Happy Chanukah". And to be completely honest with you, if someone knows that I'm Jewish and says Merry Christmas to me, I find that to be ignorant. But I won't hold it against them because like you said, most Americans do celebrate Christmas. But what would it take to say Happy Chanukah to me?

I'm not religious by any means. I always felt left out when I was little because Santa didn't come to my house. I didn't get to paint Easter eggs. It was ok though because we celebrated our holidays in other ways.

I love when I go to a store this time of year and they say Happy Holidays. Perhaps the greeters don't want to do that and are forced to do so, but they made just 1 more customer feel so very welcome. I smile as I walk in the store.

So, I say Merry Christmas to those who celebrate, Happy Chanukah to those who celebrate and Happy Holidays if I just don't know what to say.

While I see everyone's point of view, just put yourself in a position of a Jewish person (especially a child) who's holiday is rarely ever mentioned.
I was busy writing my post when I this was posted, and although I wouldn't have said it so eloquently, it expresses most of how I feel and how I give wishes during this season. I wasn't bothered as a child about Christmas, but I know many students and people in my childhood who have expressed feeling that way. The school I teach in has a large Jewish population, so they have many Jewish peers. Still, not having so many people recognize their holiday is difficult for a child, even a teenager.

Ashley 6/10, Gracie 2/04, Kiwi 10/03, and Jolie 7/93 .
lisaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!