View Single Post
Old 12-08-2010, 06:56 PM   #8
lisaly
Donating YT 500 Club Member

I personally am not offended at all when someone says "Merry Christmas" to me and I am Jewish. There are people who are truly bothered by it due to strict religious beliefs, however. I don't think it's about being politically correct but about considering the way others feel. A nativity scene is a deeply religious symbol, and I don't think it has a place in a public school. I am a high school teacher on Long Island with a multicultural population of students. We have a huge celebratory day recognizing intercultural unity right before the holiday break. I definitely respect people's right to celebrate Christmas, and I happily will wish them so, but I think we shouldn't forget that not everyone believes in the true meaning of why Christmas is celebrated. I don't think most people who aren't Christian want to do anything to take away the right of others to celebrate their holiday. Many, many years ago at our school, when we decided to not have religious symbols there, the principal explained that there were students who came to talk to him that were truly deeply hurt by the symbols. We found a way to celebrate without hurting anyone. Although I personally wasn't bothered by the symbols, I wouldn't want to risk causing anyone pain because of them. Just another point of view...

Ashley 6/10, Gracie 2/04, Kiwi 10/03, and Jolie 7/93 .
lisaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!