View Single Post
Old 12-07-2010, 07:08 PM   #19
lisaly
Donating YT 500 Club Member

The reason why there is red eye for people and the eye shine in dogs has to do with the flash. . As the pupils dilate from the flash of light, it causes red eye or the eye effect in dogs. That is why many cameras have a setting for red eye with flash, but it really can't be used with animals or kids. With red eye flash, the camera emits quick flashes of light which helps the eyes adjust from darkness to flashes of light. Moving the flash further from the lens helps a lot if you have an external flash. Usually with animals, I bounce the flash off of the ceiling, and that allows me to keep the eyes dark. I really think Jenny might be right about Jesse with his eyes. He may be looking toward you, but his eyes may not be completely directly on the camera lens. I may be completely wrong about this, but I know the pupils dilating in response to adjusting from darkness to the flashes of light causes the red eye effect and the strange eyes in animals. With a point and shoot camera, you usually don't have the option of off camera flash but you can possibly try to increase the lighting in the room and allowing Bailey to get adjusted to the light before you take photos if you want to reduce this effect.

Ashley 6/10, Gracie 2/04, Kiwi 10/03, and Jolie 7/93 .
lisaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!