View Single Post
Old 12-07-2010, 03:56 PM   #2
alaskayorkie
Banning Thread Dictator
Donating Member

No WONDER no one replied! That is one complicated set of questions!

I'd break it down into smaller steps. Rather than worry about dribbling and walking and shooting all at once, concentrate on first finding a way to get him to drop it through the hoop.

I'd start with a smaller ball, one that he can fit in his mouth. Then, since Thor is on the vertically challenged side , I'd find a way to elevate him so the scary hoop is not right in his face. Maybe set him on the couch and have him "drop it" through the hoop in your hands. Or, as my video below shows, have him walk up some doggie steps and drop it down.

You can also work more on getting him to drop things in your hand as opposed to straight down. I do that with Eddie by just saying "hand" when he misses and not rewarding until he hits my hand. Sometimes, he'll drop it 3-4 times before he gets it right.

I think kicking it to the hoop would be AWESOME, but make that your last step. I've heard you can get dogs used to kicking things by getting a round interactive treat ball and tell him to kick it. Kicking it auto-rewards him, and he should get the idea.

Here's a couple evolutions of it. He's now dropping it through a regular nerf hoop basket, but I can't seem to find my video showing that.

Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!