View Single Post
Old 12-06-2010, 08:41 AM   #9
Maximo
♥ Maximo and Teddy
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britster View Post
I think if you make positive associations with the cold they can learn to love it or at least tolerate it. Obviously some dogs are going to like it more than others, or dislike it, etc. But I think getting outside in the winter is still important even if you don't do it as much.

Jackson can deal with the cold, it's the wind that bothers him and I know here in the Baltimore area, it's been cold AND windy making it feel like it's only 20 degrees when it's really, like, 35! So maybe that's why your little guy has been wanting to go back inside?

But I would just keep 'em moving. My friends little guy Bandit is naturally really skinny and only 4lbs and when he's just standing there... he's freezing. But when we go on a walk, he's absolutely fine because he's moving.

Anything that Brady likes... a specific toy, or a good treat? Bring it outside with you every time and play, etc... he will learn to tolerate it esp. if bundled up. I always layer Jackson on those super cold days too.
I agree about the wind in the Mid Atlantic, it has been terrible. Our walks this past week have been pretty painful for me. Making matters worse, Max has greater body heat than Teddy and will dilly dally sniffing around. Teddy and I are like Bandit and want to keep moving to stay warm. Hence, I have been taking them out separately and suffering twice as much myself.

Because of the cold wind, I'm thinking about making both the boys wear Doggles. Shouldn't take more than an hour to get ready to go out: band hair, put on coats and harnesses, put on boots.....

To the OP, last winter, when my little waif Teddy was still under 6 pounds, he didn't have the endurance to stay outside long in the cold. We kept his walks shorter, 15-20 minutes tops.
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!