View Single Post
Old 12-05-2010, 12:31 AM   #3
FlDebra
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

[QUOTE=Salembev;3346668]I finally found a puppy weight chart and it has me somewhat concerned and I would like to know if I should be concerned. I bought a postal scale, which should be simple to use, but the puppies keep moving around even thought I did a tare weight with a bowl. The puppies are one week old and range from 2.2 to 6.0 ounces. Every opportunity I try to get my littlest in the lower teats. I am giving Zoie extra calcium and plenty of food and water and whenever I look, the puppies are nursing well. How often should I weigh them and when should I be concerned about my littlest one?[/QUOTE]

Now -- That is much too tiny for a week old pup. How much did he/she weigh at birth? They should be steadily gaining weight (with the exception of losing a tiny bit on second day and then back up to birth weight on 3rd day). By day 10, they usually are double --at a week, a little less than double. I would take her to the vet if you are not comfortable giving a good exam. You want to check for a cleft palate. You should remove the other pups and let mom nurse this puppy alone every couple of hours. You may need to supplement with goat's milk, but I would really try to get mom's milk in her.

I would also want to know how many puppies you have total. Are the others gaining weight? You should be weighing them every day. Weigh at the same time each day, about the same time from feeding. Newborn puppies will fluctuate quite a bit from a full tummy to an empty one. You probably notice how their little tummies bulge when they are full.

Be worried for this little one now. Don't panic -- but it is not good for it to be so tiny after a week. Is it acting healthy? Check gums -- pink and wet? Pull up some skin and see if it goes slowly back to normal or does it sort of stay pulled up after you let go. Checking for hydration. Does it cry a lot? Does it appear to latch on well when it nurses? If otherwise healthy, hydrated and latching on, you could probably wait til Monday to see the vet. If not -- call the ER vet. They can go down quickly so, you are going to have to stay with this pup constantly until you get it in to the vet. Set your alarm and check every couple of hours as you give it private nursing time with momma dog.

I'll check back to see answers to questions.
FlDebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!