View Single Post
Old 12-03-2010, 12:53 PM   #7
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyAnn View Post
And I know I see retractable leads out there on walks all the time, but I was taught they are only to be used for specific training commands in a controlled environment, not for taking your dog for a walk.

Gemy- There was no need for giving me a hard time about walking my dog on a retractable leash. That was a hard mistake I will never make again. And alot of people use retractable leashes for walking their dogs.

I thank you and Teresa for the advice you've given me. I think it will be for the best that I wait till Jackie is done with obediance school and then were going onto agility classes. So with all that going on I don't think I will have any time for a 2nd dog at this time.

Based on Jackie's performance around other dogs at her classes, will help me decide on a 2nd dog in the future.

Thank you!
\\

Kathy please accept my apologies. I reread my post, and I didn't mean to sound harsh, although I can see how it came across that way. I am truly sorry you lost your beloved yorkie.

You are right that many many walk dogs on these retractables. Here is where I see the danger lies. The lever or switch that locks the lead in one position, first can be hard to flip up or down, and then unless you are constantly aware you may think you have it in the locked position and you don;t. By the time you realize it isn't locked at a full out run a dog can move a fair number of yards, and then you are fumbling with that lever to press down or up depending on what model you have. the handle of the retractable is not too suited for quickly pulling aaway your dog out of danger either.

Those retractable should absolutely never be used with large dogs on walks especially. Let me share with you a real life situation. So we are all at the same hotel in Kentucky for our Black Russian Terrier National Specialty. This is a large breed dog. It is morning fairly early, and I am walking my boy down the stairs to go to the car, a woman with another large BRT male is coming up the stairs with that dog on a retractable, her dog charges mine, the leash sings out, she was desperately trying to push that lever down, her husband is yelling and finally leaps up 4 or so steps to burn his hands grabbing the "leash". My male thought this dog was charging me. He of course reacted, but he was stopped by my close haul on his regular lead and by my command. It could have been a disastrous situation.

So to say the least I am not a fan of retractable leads on walks.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!