View Single Post
Old 12-03-2010, 12:50 PM   #7
Norma Ralston
Yorkie Yakker

Anyone with an older Yorkie had any problems with incontinence? My male
(neutered) Yorkie Sassy, 15 years old in two months, started peeing on the floor instead of asking to go out. This was a couple months ago. Sometimes he would ask to go out, but sometimes not. Had him to the vet and she said
he has demenia. I now have him on a drug called Selegiline, to improve symptons of cognitive disfunction. Now, about a week ago he started peeing quite often and sometimes a small amount--- on the floor.. Had him back to the Vet and she checked him out for diabetes, and other diseases and can't find anything wrong. She says the problems are his age, senility, and probably bladder muscle weak. I started him on a pill yesterday called Proin, for urinary incontinence in dogs.

Because of this problem I have to keep him in diapers. I have used the
doggie diapers from Petsmart but don't seem to completely cover him, so
have a regular diaper on him too. He eats well, sleeps all night, but it
is hard to accept the fact that if these pills (Proin) don't do anything for
him I will have to deal with keeping diapers on him the rest of his life.

What do you all think about this, and do you know of any better doggie
diapers or other ways to keep the pee from getting all over the floor. I have one of those washable wraps, and that works well but have to wash it.

The only Yorkie I have had that was older passed away in my yard. She lived to be 17 years old, but had congestive heart failure. So, therefore I have never had to put one to sleep, so that fact I would have a hard time dealing with. Especially under these circumstances. This diaper thing isn't that bad anyway. It would help if it were summer here, as he loves to be outside in the yard.

I will plan to keep on with the diapers for now, and hope somebody can
give me some tips or advice. These pets become JUST LIKE YOUR OWN KIDS. And when your own kids are grown up and gone, they are so much company.

I am sure that this has happened to others, so would like some input from whoever can give me some advice regarding diapers, etc.
Norma Ralston is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!