View Single Post
Old 12-03-2010, 09:44 AM   #9
Maximo
♥ Maximo and Teddy
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyk View Post
What are belly bands?
Sorry for all the confusion, I see your earlier post now. You do have a challenge. I understand your reaction when you catch them in the act. Giving them an even-toned "no" is fine. Then bring them immediately to the potty area and use keywords or phrases indicating "potty here." Of course, they have already done their business, so they won't do more at that moment, but is is good reinforcement. I believe it is okay, maybe helpful, to sound sympathetic when you are catching them and re-directing them. No scolding, it is counterproductive.

What are you using for potty pads? I highly recommend the disposable pads that are infused with a scent to attract the dogs.

Clean all accidents with an enzyme product like "Nature's Miracle" to remove the smell. Dogs have a very keen sense of smell and will return to accident sites over and over.

A belly band is a material belt that fits around the belly. A feminine pad is inserted inside the band to absorb urine if the dog tries to pee. Most dogs learn not to pee until the belly band is removed. People use them primarily for dogs prone to marking inside the house. They aren't intended as a diaper, just extra protection. In other words, make sure the dog still has ample opportunity to potty.

For belly bands, post a thread in the "Yorkie products for sale or wanted" requesting info and names of sellers. I haven't used them, but I know quite a few people have great success with them.
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!