View Single Post
Old 12-02-2010, 10:21 PM   #1
Ginas Harley
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Cry 2 Emergency Visits, 1 Neurologist Visit $3000.00 Still have no clue

Hi all, I have had my Harley since birth 6 years ago.. Perfect health, happy, energetic, most loving pet we have ever had. We went on a cruise Nov. 13th - 20th and I boarded him at a new animal 24 hr hospital. All vaccines were up to date except they said Harley HAD to had a canine flu shot.. I said ok, paid for the tender loving care package every other day ( brushing, treat, walk, and bath at end of week ) we left and came back 7 days later.

He didn't seem quite right as in laying around more and not giving us kisses like usual, I thought maybe he was mad at us or separation anxiety, then my mother in law came over for 3 days and he was quite but thought prob all the unrest and people around had him freaked out....

ONE week back from cruise he started laying there, not responding, not wanting to eat or drink, when he sat up he would start swaying back and forth and front and back legs go like jelly and fall over, trying to walk he would walk like he was drunk and stumble into the walls .. His back looked hunch backed and his tail STAYED tucked under and he would yelp sometimes, when touched...

Saturday night Nov. 27th , took him back to the animal hospital he stayed at while boarding ( the EMERGENCY after hours this time tho) and Doctor said he had back pain and gave pain meds --$ 250.00 ** BUT THATS OK HE IS WORTH IT **

Monday Nov 29th he was moving slow but seemed to feel better until 8o p.m. then when I took him out to tee tee he started face planting after every 5 or 6 steps!! I picked him up and sat him in grass and he fell over.. I swooped him up and went back to emergency.. The doc saw how he could not even stand up without falling on face, his legs just went like jelly .. they did X-ray, blood tests for EVERYTHING and they called 2 neurologists for advice and asked to keep him overnight for observation..
This was $950.00 but he is my baby and family !!!

Tuesday Nov. 30th Doctor called me at work telling me Harley needs to see a neurologist for an MRI because he felt Harley may have inflamation of the brain or spinal cord or possibly bad neck/back disc.. I left work not caring if my supervisor cared or not I had to save my baby and they said it was URGENT to get him to another hospital with the equipment needed...
Met with Neurologist he was 98% sure it was bad neck disc and said prepare for surgery and told me what he would do while doing the surgery, if not that he would test for meningitis. HE didn't feel the need for an emergency MRI after seeing Xrays and etc... SOOOOO I was nervous and patiently waited for the back surgery to be completed the next day and for the doctors update..

Wednesday Dec. 1st Neurologist called me said he was numb founded, no neck/back discs were bad like he supected, Spinal fluid was good, no tumors in brain, no meningitis or inflamation in brain or back.. AFTER ruling everything out, he feels it is just neck spasms!! Gave me some valium to give him... $1895.00 , but worth it to know all tests are clean! no signs as to why he WAS doing what he was doing.. Since Harley was out so long he wanted to keep him over night for observation.

Thursday, called me to set up meeting and get him, he is walking outside, looks perfect health they said!! YAY... I get there, he is soooo excited to see us we could barely hold him..
We get him home -----> after 10 minutes stumbles, looks and acts alot better, but his balance is still off and front legs go weak... Doctor said he gave a steriod and should be better in 2 weeks...

I hope so!!!! This was baffling to all doctors involved.. I asked repeatedly if it may have been the flu shot?!?!?! they say no... but... he was PERFECTLY fine when we left for cruise.. I have a sick feeling something happened while boarding or the the flu shot I pray he gets 100% soon... I love him with all my heart.. Just wish I knew what is wrong with my little fella ...
Ginas Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!