View Single Post
Old 12-01-2010, 04:03 PM   #3
Teresamag
YT Addict

I agree with having the obedience training on your heeler completed first, plus give her a little time to grow up and settle down some. I have had 2 champion Australian Cattle Dogs (blue or red "heelers") and one mixed breed heeler/aussie shepard and they were good with the Yorkies if I am supervising them. My 2 current ACD's sleep in the house but they are working dogs and don't have free roam in the house unless supervised. They never have free time with my Yorkies because the breed can have a high "prey drive" and they are so strong & quick, 2 of the 3 will even kill cats if given the opportunity so I've never trusted them with my Yorkies just in case.

Is there any way you could test Jackie with other small breeds first to see if she would get along with a Yorkie? How is she around other small dogs or cats? If she shows any sign of wanting to chase, mouth, nip, or bite I would strongly enourage you not to get a Yorkie, they just can't stand up to a dog like this.

ACD's are great dogs and I love mine but I know their breed temperament and just won't trust them around my Yorkies.

Teresa
Magnum Yorkies
Teresamag is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!