View Single Post
Old 11-30-2010, 09:38 PM   #1
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

Animal Smiley 019 A total switch in my training methods/views

Quicksilver -- I think you will like this one.

Back in early 2009, there were a few debates on this forum about training methods. Basically the dominance/alpha theory vs. positive reinforcement.

Although I never really "used" dominance methods on Jackson, because it was always unnecessary with him, I strongly believed in the "Cesar Millan" way of dominance and being a dog's pack leader. It just seemed to make sense to me. Don't get me wrong, I have not turned into a "Cesar hater" or anything -- I still respect the good he has done for the dog world, but I've also come to terms with the 'bad'.

I've been able to enjoy the experience of bonding and learning with a dog through truly positive reinforcement. Then I discovered clicker training as well. It's really amazing what you can do with a dog with a little encouragement and positive vibes.

I am not my dogs "pack leader" nor his "alpha". He doesn't obey commands because he HAS to... he does because he WANTS to and he ENJOYS pleasing me. He's my best friend, my every day companion, and my heart.

And with positive reinforcement, he has learned over 40 tricks at 2 years old and is constantly learning new ones and practicing old. He comes to me happily when I call his name (ok, most of the time! ), he has gotten over his fear of strangers, he has graduated his first agility class, and is well on his way to becoming a canine good citizen. He's friendly with all other dogs he meets, he's able to walk into a store or go anywhere really and be on his best behavior. And this, plus much more, was accomplished without physical corrections, without dominating him or rolling him on his back, or forcing him to walk behind me (though I don't allow to pull, typically speaking), or using a prong collar/choke chain/shock collar.

Most of all, we have FUN together. We have a freakin' blast and he and I both enjoy training equally. We're a team... I'm not "above" him. We have a mutual respect for one another that's created a strong bond that will last a lifetime.

This thread doesn't really have a 'purpose' other than to clarify my views on dog training, since they did used to be vastly different. Jackson has taught me so much in general.

"Training is something you do with your dog, not to your dog."
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!