Thread: Screening tests
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2010, 05:16 PM   #3
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFar View Post
Hello. I've been lurking on this board for a while and have posted once or twice but havent ever posted a question. I find lots of information on the Internet in general and great Yorkie stuff here obviously. So I would like to know what screening tests breeders feel are especially useful for their breeding program. I have three intact Yorkies currently and plan on breeding my own showdogs from them. So I want to know what tests breeders are using. It's not that I don't have a wonderful mentor, I'm just very curious what different people feel is worth doing. I know I have to use a vet, but I like to spend that money wisely. I've had vets try to talk me into unnecessary things and things that I don't agree with. I like to do things as naturally as possible so I tend to shy away from X-rays unless they are unavoidable and I've been told that ultrasounds may be harmful to puppy fetuses as well. For example, you could count heartbeats with a stethoscope rather than X-ray or ultrasound your bitch.

Barbara
There are minimal required tests. OFA, CERFS, Bile Acids. OFA is invalid unless a dog is 2 years of age. Bile Acids performed at 16 weeks and again at 6 months. There are temperament tests. Keep in mind that OFA requires x-rays. Ultrasounds should be done prior to breeding. X-rays are performed a week before the first due date.

YTCA is now putting into place a series of tests via CHIC, if a dog does not have these tests performed, they are qualified to receive top awards.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!