View Single Post
Old 11-29-2010, 01:20 PM   #1
boopster
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Tallulah's First Road Trip Was a Success

Thanks to all of the information you all have shared, we had a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend with Tallulah.

She has gotten used to riding on short trips in her car seat, where she can see where we're going but has plenty of room to lay down to sleep, and she made the 4 hour trip to Yuma and the 6 hour trip home (flat tire plus heavy traffic) with flying colors.

She had more luggage than the rest of us combined -- an ice chest with her chicken and rice plus her regular food (we were just getting her off an episode with an upset tummy last weekend and she wasn't quite ready to go back 100% on her regular food), her Petgear I-GO2, her x-pen, several sweaters and her turkey costume, bottled water, bowls, potty pads, toys, wipes, 2 harnesses, leash, plastic bags, children's benadryl and syringe just in case. I will eventually post reviews on the I-GO2 and the x-pen, both of which worked out great.

I was so proud of how she handled the changes in location - from the hotel to her Aunt Katie's house a few times. She even let Aunt Katie babysit her while George and I went to the store. I was afraid of some tummy upset, but she ate well and didn't show any signs of distress.

This was the first opportunity we had to really walk her on a leash. Considering it was new to her, I thought she did great. She does have definite opinions on where she wants go to, but she accepted correction grudgingly and walking her turned out to be lots of fun. We're definitely going to continue this now that we're home, even though she has a great big yard to run in.

We do need to work on her manners and I'm still looking for a good class for her. She barks at nearly everybody she sees -- the smaller the person, the more she barks. And she is aggressive toward other dogs. We took her in the I-GO2 to the outdoor swapmeet Friday morning, and there were lots of other people with dogs on leash or in strollers. No matter what the size, she was barking and trying to get out of her bag every time she saw another dog.

Same thing at the hotel -- it's a pet-friendly place and I could not take her out on the lawn when other dogs were out there. And by the way, why don't people clean up after their dogs?! She also barked at people she saw in the hotel, although she was friendly enough when they wanted to pet her.

So, anyway, I wanted to brag a little but mainly thank everyone for all the info that helped me prepare for the trip and make it a fun one.
boopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!