View Single Post
Old 11-22-2010, 03:20 PM   #1
boopster
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Memorable Holiday Moments with Pets

Reading some of today's discussions about holiday meals started me remembering some holidays when I was a little girl. I have to share one memorable moment and would love to hear some of yours.

My beloved Grandma Isadore had a tiny rat terrier name Timmy that was the light of her life. We use to make fun of the way she babied Timmy. Every morning she made him eggs and bacon and served it in a special antique blue willow bowl. When I remember her, I picture her with Timmy nestled on her forearm, just the way I carry Tallulah.

Now that I have my little T, I think I'm channeling Grandma Isadore. I can understand better now why she babied him so.

Anyway, one memorable Thanksgiving, we were all at the dinner table. I always sat next to Grandma Isadore (who always had Timmy in her lap) because I was the baby of the family. (All the other kids got to sit at their own table in the kitchen and I was so insulted by that...) I was probably about five years old, and the fussiest eater in the history of the universe. Truly.

I remember vividly I had one piece of turkey, some mashed potatoes, and a cinnamon roll on my plate. Of course, I ate the roll first, because what kid wouldn't go for the sweet? The turkey was really good, and there was a PERFECT piece right in the center of the slice. I slowly ate my way around that slice of turkey, saving that perfect piece for the very last. And I rationed the mashed potatoes so I would finish them just before that last bit of turkey. So... I finished everything else and was just about to go for that perfect piece, when Grandma Isidore said, "You're not going to eat that little bit, are you dear?" She speared that piece of turkey and had it in Timmy's mouth before I could make a peep.

My parents saw the outraged look on my face and burst into laughter. They knew my habits and knew exactly what had happened. Fortunately I was too well-mannered to make a fuss, but every holiday season while my parents were still alive, someone trotted that story out and we all had a good laugh.

Today I realize that I have just forgiven Grandma Isadore because I would do exactly the same thing for Tallulah. I only wish now that it had been MY idea to give Timmy that perfect piece of turkey.
boopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!