View Single Post
Old 11-22-2010, 01:27 PM   #9
concretegurl
Between♥Suspensions
Donating Member

Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker's Mum View Post
I then re-asked my questions & explained that my current dog has a few issues & I need to know if this dog would get along well with mine before I apply. She again just tells me to fill out the application, that the schnauzer is "fine with all".
Here's the deal- you are contacting a rescue-no a breeder or kennel. This response is normal, they are usually overwhelmed and aren't willing to offer the same special adoption attention you'd find privately.Ignoring questions and telling you to fill out an application is the norm-they don't waste time-the only important questions they will answer are-DO YOU GET THEM VET CHECKED <ALTERED? YOU MUST HAVE THE DOGS MEET FIRST-if you are concerned about your dog and this dog getting along!Otherwise the risk is on you. Good job looking at a rescue, research their licensing to see of they are legit. If you get a bad feeling go with it, (weird vibe whatever) but just because you get the brush off a bit-well that's normal THEY ARE OVERWHELMED MOST OF THE TIME- also realize many rescues offer no health guarantee-your risk.
**Remember rescue dogs may have special needs-my Scoober the rescue described as 'takes a minute to warm up to you' but happy healthy and they also said he wouldn't be over 10 pounds...Scoober was afraid of everyone and everything, had been beaten, forced to live in a cage, tortured, and even at 5 months old still carries the issues from it-he's also 21 pounds now. Do I regret any part of getting him-NO I KNOWINGLY TOOK THOSE RISK-OH! Just a little funny part-Scoobers was listed as a girl-I went out and bought a ton of pink items after my adoption was approved-the day before I was to get him he was altered-the adoption supervisor politely called me back to inform me he was a he, and was I still interested...oh well some things work out for the best.
**On another note you said Schnauzer mix-read about schnauzer personalities-Scoobers is a Schnorkie (Yorkie/Schnauzer hybrid). Schnauzers are not like Yorkies-they are stubborn, very stubborn (motivated by food), independent and they have serious endurance, they are herding terriers-unlike Yorkies who while stubborn are motivated by attention, need to be the center of attention, and are often delicate lap dogs who were originally ratters-in house rodent killers and lap dogs and have explosive and ending energy patterns. I have a Schnorkie, Yorkie and Miniature Schnauzer here now-its a wild bunch trust me.
**Beware social, behavior issue and health issues are a risk you take from a rescue dog-there's a reason we say how noble it is of people to adopt from a rescue-but it can all be perfect and fine-or it will be a lot of work...I wouldn't recommend it to everyone especially if it is your first dog-but if not and you can PLEASE DO. best of luck to you.
concretegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!