View Single Post
Old 11-21-2010, 07:36 PM   #12
BellarousasMom
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddiesMommie View Post
I can only speak from my experiece. We live on a farm and have working dogs, they would be miserable if they did not have this job to do. Both our Australian Cattle dogs live outside and I could never see them being inside dogs. They love to run far to much to ever keep them couped up in the house. They stay outside and have access to an enclosed shelter.

We have trained them to do common commands such as sit, stay, load up, come. But as for the heeling part, they seem to do it natrally; it is really amazing to seem them in at work. We do not have cattle on our farm right now and they have to be watched really close or they try to heard the horses.
I have a 13 year old cattle dog, her health is not so great anymore. But you are so right. Their heeling instincts are amazing. We taught ours to play dead when shot, and get 'em up, to help get the horses up to the barn. When it was time to load the horses if one was stubborn she would jump right in behind and nip and there they would load. She loved being outside and loved being inside with us. Great guard dogs. I can see us getting another when her time is up. My little Bella will play dead now when I shoot her. So cute.
BellarousasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!