View Single Post
Old 11-21-2010, 09:54 AM   #4
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkieusa View Post
This is farm and ranch country. Actually, most don't differ at all. I think they have wonderful lives. They get to go with their people all over the farms and ranches. They usually have more companionship than many city dogs who sit at home alone all day waiting for someone to come home from their jobs. They are generally fairly well trained, because they cannot be allowed to chase cattle and especially bulls - they can be kicked and killed very easily. You will see them ride around the ranches in or on the trucks. It has been many years since I was on a small ranch, but they were companions, not working dogs. Some, not very many people, have cattle dogs - herders. They are usually there not only for companionship, but as watch dogs. Burglaries are a huge problem to an isolated farm home. They are usually brought inside a home or heated building in wretched cold and blizzardy weather. Actually, if I was a dog, I'd rather be a farm dog than a city dog. They get to have lots of fun chasing skunks around, too, and then come home to share their new perfume!

That sounds like a wonderful life. I'd love to be able to let my big dogs roam more freely. As city dogs, they do go everywhere with me (I own my own business and they come to work with me). I don't think I'd let my Razz man roam free, he's just too little.

But even with the big dogs, they'd be in my home at night.

Thanks so much for your response
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!