View Single Post
Old 11-21-2010, 09:39 AM   #2
yorkieusa
Crazy about Kacee!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemy View Post
I would like some help from those experienced folks (ie those that have lived or worked on a farm), to help me understand what it means when someone says: " I lived on a farm, and we had farm dogs". How do farm dogs differ from pet dogs?

I know that there are obvious differences I've seen on TV watching educational programs; for example that the dogs often have a "job" to do, herding sheep or cattle, often live outside (with I assume access to shelter), are fed outside probably.

But is that all there is to it? Do they mean they didn't see dogs as companions, love them, train them? Well they must train them, cause they do do work on the farm.

Just wondering
This is farm and ranch country. Actually, most don't differ at all. I think they have wonderful lives. They get to go with their people all over the farms and ranches. They usually have more companionship than many city dogs who sit at home alone all day waiting for someone to come home from their jobs. They are generally fairly well trained, because they cannot be allowed to chase cattle and especially bulls - they can be kicked and killed very easily. You will see them ride around the ranches in or on the trucks. It has been many years since I was on a small ranch, but they were companions, not working dogs. Some, not very many people, have cattle dogs - herders. They are usually there not only for companionship, but as watch dogs. Burglaries are a huge problem to an isolated farm home. They are usually brought inside a home or heated building in wretched cold and blizzardy weather. Actually, if I was a dog, I'd rather be a farm dog than a city dog. They get to have lots of fun chasing skunks around, too, and then come home to share their new perfume!

We rescued a big dog once. He lived in town and had been shot with a bb gun. For the rest of his life, he carried a bb under the skin between his eyes. He was much happier in the country than in town. In town, he couldn't run freely and enjoy life. He lived to be an old guy and was my buddy. He was a mix, but he was part German Shepherd.

Last edited by yorkieusa; 11-21-2010 at 09:43 AM.
yorkieusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!