Thread: Dew Claws?
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2010, 06:31 PM   #6
DvlshAngel985
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy1999 View Post
That's a toughie, but I would have them removed. If you keep them, there's the chance they will be catch on something and be torn off, which is much more painful and dangerous than the surgical removal. Also, the nail will continue to grow, and this needs to be trimmed with other nails, and since they don't naturally file down when walking, it may need clipping sooner than the other nails. There are many dogs that have dewclaws and are fine, but I've read at least 4 threads on Yorkietalk about them being torn off, and if you weren't home when it happened, serious blood loss could result. The way I look at it, since she's going to be under anyway, go for it. Best of luck with the spay!
I agree. If I were in your shoes, I'd just have it done to prevent any future harm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalina82 View Post
I'd leave them alone at this point. Many dogs have their dew claws and never have any problems with them catching and ripping off. Morgan had hers removed by the breeder but it wasn't done properly and one grew back. its no biggy. i just clip it when i do the rest of her nails.

I'd only get them removed if they were really loose and dangly.
Most dogs I've seen have loose, dangly dew claws. But if they were secured, I'd be iffy about it. I think I might lean more towards having them removed just in case, but I would have my doubts if they were nice and secure. I hate seeing the ones that wiggle with each step a dog takes like they're about to fall off anyway.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!