Thread: Dew Claws?
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2010, 04:50 PM   #2
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseslevi View Post
Ok, so I took Lily for her pre-op spay check-up everything went well and she is scheduled for next Wednesday(day before thanksgiving) because I will be home on school break for 5 days with her. So I thought I had all my bases covered including having her microchipped during surgery...then vet asked do I want her dew claws removed????? Opinions please...my first response was to just leave them alone...is there a good reason to remove them other than showing?
That's a toughie, but I would have them removed. If you keep them, there's the chance they will be catch on something and be torn off, which is much more painful and dangerous than the surgical removal. Also, the nail will continue to grow, and this needs to be trimmed with other nails, and since they don't naturally file down when walking, it may need clipping sooner than the other nails. There are many dogs that have dewclaws and are fine, but I've read at least 4 threads on Yorkietalk about them being torn off, and if you weren't home when it happened, serious blood loss could result. The way I look at it, since she's going to be under anyway, go for it. Best of luck with the spay!

Join today and remove this ad!