View Single Post
Old 11-18-2010, 01:27 PM   #4
Buster Brown
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

I have been reading Dr Pitcairn's book on Natural Health Care for Dogs & Cats. Dr Pitcairn is a holistic DVM PHD who believes in a natural approach to pet health care to use in conjuction with traditonal veterinary treatments. He has also studied veterinary immunology, virology, and bio-chemistry. I figure I will give Buster as healthy an immune system as I can and rely on medicines when he needs them. He says "the idea in treating tapeworms is to use substances that annoy and irrate them and to use them for a long enough peiod of time. Eventually the worms will give up and loosen their hold, passing on out. He suggests Pumpkin seeds. Obtain the whole raw seeds and keep them in a sealed conatiner at room temperature. Grind them to a fine meal and give them to your pet immediately. He says it is best to grind the seeds just before use. Add 1/4 to 1 teaspoon (depending on the size of your animal) to each meal. Since our yorkies are so small maybe a 1/8 tsp per meal. He also recommends buying a very good quality wheat-germ oil at a health food store. Add 1/4 to 1 tsp( depending on size) to each meal. Feed a small amount of food so the enzymes work better. He also recommends figs and papya enzymes. Dried figs can be chopped or ground and added to food again 1/4 tsp to 1 tsp. He says Papaya is an excellent enzyme source. You can use enzyme supplements that contain papain ( the papaya enzyme) and other digestive enzyme's. He recommends you to follow the instructions on the label. I have to add Buster has not had tapeworms so I am only letting you know what the book recommends. My Vet is a holistic as well as traditional vet who studied under Dr Pitcairn and really thinks highly of him. Best of luck.
Buster Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!