View Single Post
Old 11-17-2010, 08:57 AM   #14
kjc
I♥PeekTinkySaph&Finny
Donating Member

There is such a thing as 'Dirty Dog Syndrome'. You may want to Google that to see... I think Animal Planet did a show with a dog that had it. If you can't find suggestions... I can't remember exactly what was done but will try to research later... I would consider getting a professional trainer and schedule a meeting all with your vet. She's missing a connection in her brain, or missed some of her Mom's training as a puppy. It may take assessments, evaluations, and recommendations from the professionals to get her back on track.

I would have her skin and feet checked for problems, rule out hydrocephalus or any brain disorder, and have a fecal done to check for parasites (sent out to a lab, not the in-house kind). I'd request a thyroid panel done too, as the thyroid is very important in metabolism. Also, get her on probiotics and digestive enzymes, added to her food, and feed her twice daily... this will encourage her to eliminate after eating. If you feed all day long, they will poop all day long.

If not the crate, then yes the Xpen or the kitchen (room that is easy to clean). Keeping her in a crate where she has no choice but to sit in filth is never going to be the answer for her. Try to find a way to elevate the bowls (no plastics) either on the side of the X-pen or a raised feeder, to make soiling them more difficult. Or use a water bottle for dogs, if she will learn to drink from it. Monitor her intake to be sure she's getting enough. Maybe try elevating her bed slightly on a cardboard box.

Consider using a diaper on her. Are her stools very soft? Add 1 tsp canned pumpkin and or 6 (3 whole) green beans to each meal to add fiber, maybe produce a firmer stool. What are you feeding her?

Yorkies can be housetrained anywhere from 10 weeks to never. Most 'get it' by 1 year of age.

Many things can affect Yorkies. I have concerns about your dog and think a professional trainer could better evaluate her environment and routines to give you better suggestions. Many times, owners don't see certain things as a problem, when a trainer could spot something that you never would think to tell me, so my advice could be totally off-base.

I do give you credit and respect you for not giving up on her sooner. It's a ton of work to deal with this type of pottying issue.

The main concepts are to get her to potty at regular intervals on a walk, and to get any accidents cleaned up before she can access them, and clean up everything if she does make a mess asap.

I at least hope I have given you hope. These dogs can be helped. Hang in there. It takes a lot of work but the results will be so worth it! (I know I don't need to tell you that!)
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!