Thread: Stud Question
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2010, 05:27 AM   #10
YorkieRose
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlDebra View Post
Wow -- I did not realize you could do that! I guess if you have a really great stud, you hate to retire him if he can still get the job done! That is amazing though -- 13 years old! I know the old 7 yrs to our 1 is not realistic but using that old idea ... it would be like a 91 yr old man fathering a child! Whew!

I thought the AKC required sires to not be over 12 years of age, but I could not find it just now in a quick AKC.org search. Some pages were "unavailable" right now, probably doing maintenance. So, maybe I just could not access the right page. I do remember reading minimum and I thought maximum ages though for registration. Was that a problem?
Spanky had not sired a litter in 4 yrs...he was retired and one I could not part with..a dear friend who lost her Spanky daughter asked to use him..the vet had to check sperm count for AKC..required after 12 yrs. All was a go..and Spanky bred just like did when he was 2 yrs old..very pleased with himself...and my friend was over the moon with 4 Spanky girls...Spanky was sired by an old timer, CH Trivar's Cookie Monster...Spanky was shown 3 times and one day he jumped out of my arms and broke his frot leg..it destroyed his wrist joint and he was left with a limp..but he has no clue he was not perfect...and in many eyes he was...
YorkieRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!