View Single Post
Old 11-16-2010, 11:12 PM   #13
YorkieZoo
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

We have a little guy named Houston that was on the Science Diet U/D for his calcium oxalate crystals.

While I agree that Science Diet is not a "premium" food, when it comes to Rx foods, you can't really do an apples to apples comparison.

When I contacted Natura (Evo, California Naturals, etc) they also indicated that it would be best to use the Rx food recommended by the vet.

Unfortunately, since our little guy had the calcium oxalate crystals, which lead to calcium oxalate stones after a year on the food (calcium oxalate stones cannot be dissolved by diet), he had to have bladder surgery.

Now we have him xrays done every three months to ensure that they aren't reforming because 3 months after his surgery, he developed diabetes, which put him on the Science Diet W/D food (the U/D was contraindicated for diabetes--ugh).

We also put our little Meadow (the pancreatic wonder pup) on it too.

We generally always go with the vet recommendation when it comes to the Rx food, I know that here in Indy we pay (I just bought it today) $1.98 per can for any of the Science Diet Rx and if you do the BIG bag of the dry kibble it was $53.99 (just checked the receipt!) We mix the dry and wet together. 1/8 can equals 1/4 cup of dry.

Last edited by YorkieZoo; 11-16-2010 at 11:14 PM.
YorkieZoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!