View Single Post
Old 11-15-2010, 03:01 PM   #1
NikoNiks
Yorkie Talker

Default Confused about Vaccines, Which one?

Okay so my little guy (who is 14 months old) goes to Banfield, he is a year old and on the puppy basic care plan so he gets plenty of vaccines. I'm beginning to wonder if these are all really necessary or not? I wish I was more of an educated consumer in the beginning instead of just letting them give him whatever vaccines they thought that he needed.

He has never had any bad reactions from any vaccines yet. But recently banfield got online at mybanfield.net and I'm able to view his vaccine history, etc. I'm a little confused because

1) How often are they supposed to get the dewormer? Is it different for different age groups? He got it in the beginning before I got him (I got him at 12 weeks) and then after he was 4 months he got it every 2 months a total of 3x and no more yet. Do they just get it 3 times a year? It says that it is "due" for every 6 months but he got it every 2 months a total of 3x. I know that he will have more because I looked at the other plans (our plan renews in December) and it is a part of those plans too.

2) He got 2 fecal exams, 2 months apart but it says they are "due" every 6 months? Both negative. How often do they do these? I'm not too worried about this because at least its just them checking his poop, not putting anything in him so I don't mind if they do it all the time!

3)He got his distemper parvo (DAPP), corona, and lepto in january and is due in january. Are these vaccines necessary? I heard it is not good to give lepto to any dog under 15lbs.

4) He got the lyme vaccine twice...10 days apart, is it like a double shot or something? and now it is due for a year from now. Does he need lyme? I live in the suburbs of Chicago.

5) He got bordatella in October, and it is due in 6 months, again is this a neccessary vaccine?

6) He got a negative result on his heartworm test back in may but we didn't start his heartworm preventative until OCTOBER. Is this safe?

Also what vaccines do you give your little guys? Which ones are core vaccines that are neccessary, are there vaccines you definitely DON'T give your dogs?
NikoNiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!