View Single Post
Old 11-11-2010, 07:42 PM   #4
my2boyz
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

I would try to contain her when you can't keep a close eye on her. They really don't want to make mistakes. If you want to totally train her to go outside then crate her for short periods, let her out to potty, play for a few minutes and put her back in the crate. As she gets older you lengthen the time she is in her crate so she learns to hold it longer. If you want her to learn to use a pad then use the play yard with a pad in it...once she has learned to use the pad let her come out with everyone but make sure her pad is in a consistant place so she won't get confused and just go wherever she wants to go.

When my girls were young I kept them in their puppy playyard with a bed, a couple of safe toys, food, water and a potty pad. When I was sure they were using the pad I started letting them out with a pad by the front door. I used the tray underneath, it held the pads secure and protected the floor in case the pad leaked through. Once my girls learned to use the pad and it got warmer outside I started training them to go outside too. They were puppies during winter so I didn't take them out a lot.

From the time they outgrew their play yard I got them each a black wire kennel...bed in the front, food and water hanging on the side and a pad at the back. They would all go in their kennels when we left and at bedtime. It was so funny when we used the kennels because every time I got ready to leave home I turned on the cell phone and when they heard that little tune they all headed for their kennels!

Now that the girls are 3 I don't kennel them anymore. We have a doggie door that they use when we are home but at bedtime and when we leave I still put the tray/pad down for them in case they need it...so they are trained to go inside on a pad or outside which works well for us. They all hold it during the night with no trouble but if we're gone for the day they will use the pad. Now that we don't use the kennels they all jump up on the couch and lay down when they hear the cell phone tune!
my2boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!