View Single Post
Old 11-11-2010, 12:59 PM   #10
107barney
T. Bumpkins & Co.
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie May View Post
Most of the recipes on YT (>95%) are not adequate for long term use (and some not even short term).

Puppies should get puppy food. If you really want to feed a pup homecooked, it needs to be under extremely close supervision of a veterinary nutritionist.

Petdiets.com belongs to one of the most qualified veterinary nutritionists in the US. You can be comfortable using her recipes, but still be careful with the fat content because Yorkeis are so prone to pancreatitis.

That's correct - Welcome to Pet Diets is run by Dr. Rebecca Remillard, a board certified veterinary nutritionist who, as Ellie May said, is one of the most qualified vet nutritionists and few can match her credentials. I use her for all three of my dogs. Dr. Remillard has saved Daisy's life (my dog who is a very sick little girl). I've home cooked for 10 years and for the past couple of years have done so under her guidance. Teddy's diet is one of her $25 diets - Chicken with brown rice and veggies which is a lower fat option at 11%.

Note that if your dog is under 1 year old, it is recommended that you use commercial dog food. I did home cook for my puppies, but that was a personal decision and one that was frowned upon by my vets
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!