View Single Post
Old 11-11-2010, 10:18 AM   #8
Ladymom
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonBon View Post
I agree with talking with your vet before making this type of diet change. But, if you do decide to start feeding a home cooked diet you still need to consult with an experienced nutritionist. Most vets have very little education in nutrition and proper balancing of ingredients. Be cautious about feeding any recipe you find online (including on YT) without first running it by your nutritionist. Consultation fees for nutritionists aren't that expensive and they're well worth the cost for your pups' health.

What she said!

I know all the recalls are scary, but your odds of your dogs getting sick from homecooked not done correctly are much greater than them getting sick from tainted pet food.

There really are some wonderful pet foods on the market today that have never been involved in a recall.

I am a firm believer in homecooked done properly for dogs with special dietary needs like my 15 year old Lady. With her laundry list of health issues like diabetes and liver disease plus allergies, I simply ran out of options in commercial dog foods a few years ago and had to start homecooking.

Remember if you do decide to homecook, it is very important to get bloodwork done six months after you start to make sure the diet is fulfilling all their nutritional needs. Then you need to do follow up bloodwork at least every year. I know dogs who have developed calcium deficiencies and low thyroid (from not enough iodine in the diet) on homecooked so it's important to catch it early.
Ladymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!