View Single Post
Old 11-10-2010, 06:39 PM   #1
Jenna AK
YT Addict

Embarassed The Yorkie Who Won't...

Won't potty INSIDE, that is. (Yeah, I can imagine everyone is thinking, "HUH??")
Jenna is about 2-3 years old. Today it was so cold when I took her for her daily, she may have just gone #1 AND #2 at the same time! (Never seen a dog do this!) Then she just sat down and shivered until I picked her up and brought her inside. I couldn't really see a lot of pee, but it's 8 inches of snow and then forest floor, not much chance I'll even be able to find a stain....

So I've done everything to prepare for the dreaded subzero that I know is coming to Alaska...puppy pads, litter for dogs and dog box, potty pad, 'samples' (eeeewww)....maybe I'll even get one of those 'potty bricks' that is supposed to be scented to encourage them to go where you put them.

But Jenna always fixes me with this stinkeye that says, "Seriously? You want me to go WHERE? ARE YOU NUTS??"
I think she even doesn't understand people in the bathroom. She'll come in and sniff and then look at us like we're crazy to be doing that inside the house.

I have a feeling I am going to be doing a lot of carpet cleaning over the coldest months. Right now she's got a stubborn ear infection and you can see she's not thrilled that some bugger has lowered her lovely outdoor temps to unbearable. (she'd like me to do something about that)

Not like I haven't had to do this before. We've had older dogs who needed help indoors and we've got three cats who don't always aim quite right...plus three house bunnies I have to clean pans for...but still. I'm just worried that one accident will mean MANY in the future.

And the few that Jenna had when she first got to us, well, you could see she was so ashamed. She had me trained within a week to get her out on time.
But my other worry is that she'll hold herself until someone takes her outside no matter what the weather. Has anyone seen their dog do that? I'd be afraid she'd float a kidney or hurt her bowels.

This is going to sound like a stupid question, but.... Will even a well trained Yorkie eventually just GO on the carpet if it's not taken outside? And if so, at her age, do I have much hope of training her to the appropriate place again...indoors or out?
Jenna AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!