View Single Post
Old 11-09-2010, 01:21 PM   #1
AllDogBoots
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Cry I Cried At The Park...

...so it's time to hire a trainer. Let me set up the story:

It was a gorgeous day on Saturday so I decided to take the dogs to a community park for a nice walk. Cooper has been doing so well with his Easy Walk Harness and Max learned to walk well in front of the house (same harness) so I felt confident taking both.

We got to the park and my partner and I each grabbed a lead. Max started barking uncontrollably. We figured it was just from all the excitement and it would stop shortly so we proceeded. Both dogs were pulling like crazy and were completely out of control. Max barked continually for an entire mile around the lake. I had with me treats, a clicker and a can of coins. Nothing would stop him. Cooper forgot how to walk properly. I was so utterly disappointed that tears began to roll down my face. This was supposed to be a nice walk in the park. By the time I got to the car, we were all in hysterics. DONE.

I live in a small town and have search over and over again for a trainer. Today, on a whim, I visited a local pet store asking for a recommended trainer. She said they have a trainer who follows a clicker/reward system and classes were starting tonight! I called the trainer to find out more. I can't possibly handle both dogs on my own at a class. She's going to do in home training. She also said I could attend the classes for free (as a private client).

Tonight, Cooper and I are going to meet the trainer and attend class. I feel a huge sense of relief and a huge drain on my wallet, but I'm very excited. I hired a trainer when Cooper was a puppy, but sadly, never followed through with the training on my own. I'm committed now. I owe it to my dogs. I truly hope this is a new beginning for us.

Last edited by AllDogBoots; 11-09-2010 at 01:23 PM.
AllDogBoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!