View Single Post
Old 11-09-2010, 02:52 AM   #9
cheryl19
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlDebra View Post
I just went back up to 3 -- 2 yorkies and 1 Jack Russell (the JR is really my son's & he is off at college). I think 3 works well for us. My other yorkie Ben, was very standoffish at first, but Annie was persistent and they are already playing and sleeping on each other. I would not recommend a male though, since your male is marking.

My male, Ben, never marked even after being dad of a litter. Then I wound up having a male as last puppy left of his second litter. Long story short, I kept him for a few months. I had not found the right person and I thought about keeping the male puppy (I named him Rocky). It started off with them trying to out-mark each other. That itself was pretty bad (I even got half the house tiled to try to alleviate the problem $$$). But they did not get along either and the fighting was really escalating when my DIL told me her best friend (who I had met & liked) would really like to have him. I wound up giving her a really good deal & was very honest about the marking. She took him, has him using a doggy door, no marking and he gets along great with my DIL's poodles they often visit.

Some here on YT, have gotten a second male and made it work. But I cannot recommend that. My Annie though, has been a delightful addition to our family and even Ben has warmed to her and is more than accepting her -- he really enjoys her. I forgot to mention Candy, our Jack Russell, loves everyone and gets along great -- she thinks she is a yorkie as I have always had yorkies with her around. She mothers them all. So my ABCs are doing great!

Other than that just consider the financial aspect and be sure you have a few thousand set aside or insurance/care credit car for vet bills -- just in case.

Deb knows better then me trust me on that, but I do have 2 males and they get along great. My girl is the quite one and not into playing, but the guysthat is all they do.

I think I'm just lucky Max never marked but Reggie did for the first 4 or 5 months of owning him (he was a shelter dog and was neutered later in life) I used belly bands on him till he stooped marking. But would I try a male again? I don't think I would again.

Three is my limit, the more you have the more they cost and the time they take. But I don't have little kids anymore and have more time then alot of people. Their is much to think about when you have more then one dog.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!