View Single Post
Old 11-08-2010, 09:40 PM   #7
FlDebra
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine View Post
That is something I would never advise doing, walking off leash. Too easy for them to get frightened or spot something, easily run over by a car for which they are no match or panic run and you will be hardpressed to find your dog.
I always warn any prospective puppy/dog buyers for one of my yorkies, NEVER have it off leash unless in the house or in a safe fenced yard.
I have seen too many off leash dogs get killed.
I agree. But I also think a good emergency recall command is important. I have only tried that in our yard. Luckily I have an acre of our property fenced for them. I just would never let them out in public unleashed. So many things can happen. A couple of years ago, a hawk tried to take off with a dachshund in someone's own front yard. The pics looked like a typical residential area. If not for the leash, they would never have gotten the baby back down where they could get their hands on it. There are many stoires on here where owners have had to rescue their pups by pulling the leash/halter and puppy right off the ground to safety. I am not as fast as I used to be and have no doubt mine could all outrun me. They wouldn't do it normally, but fear can make them do all sorts of out of character things.

Okay I have made a long post out of this when all I really needed to say was "same as above."
FlDebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!