View Single Post
Old 11-08-2010, 04:53 PM   #6
Ashley V
♥ Chip ♥ Smokey ♥
Donating Member

I'll try to keep this short because it is a long story.

Smokey came to us at 6 months old and had really bad separation anxiety. We tried a crate when we'd leave or even go to sleep in the same room and as soon as we'd go to bed, you'd hear him pacing then the whole room would stink... he would get bad diarrhea. So then we tried baby gating him in the bathroom. The bathroom was directly in front of our bed, so he could get a clear view that we were right there and Chip was in his crate near by. Again, pacing, whining, diarrhea. He was so bad he quite literally was 7 lbs... today he's between 15-18 and he has not grown in height or length. After about two weeks it hit me that he had separation anxiety and let him and Chip free roam together in the master bedroom... problem solved. Smokey cannot be alone or he will have an anxiety attack. One time we were dog sitting for my MIL and I figured it would be easier on all 3 dogs if I still kept Chip and Smokey up in our master bedroom and my MIL's dog downstairs in a separate crate while we were gone for dinner. Smokey had a severe attack and was freaking out. The next time we left, I put my MIL's dog in a crate in our bedroom and Smokey was fine.

So in conclusion, it could help, but it could also hurt in some ways too. For example, God forbid, something happens to Chip, Smokey would have a cow. I would have to get another dog immediately or Smokey would freak out or someone would have to be with him at all times. If I have to take Chip to the vet, Smokey has to come too. The good part is that as long as Chip is with Smokey, Smokey is content and perfectly fine. I suggest talking to would talk to Snicker's vet and maybe a qualified dog trainer and get suggestions.

Karley Marissa born 1/20/12 weighing 8 lbs 11 oz and 21.5 inches long
Ashley V is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!