View Single Post
Old 11-08-2010, 04:06 PM   #5
Amanda7
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

We had the very same situation with our Snickers...extreme separation anxiety. I would put him in the crate for only an hour while I ran errands, and come home to a huge mess. He would lose all control and he'd be in such a terrible state when I got home. All other times, he was fine. He was potty trained at 6 mos., except when he was in the pen or crate, when we left him alone.

We finally got Baxter when Snickers was about 10 mos. old. The change in him was night and day. All of a sudden, he became the 'big brother' and we'd trust him out of the crate, while the new puppy was crated. When we came home, all was well. He didn't stress out when he saw us getting ready to go out, and sat there calmly.

Now 5 years later, his separation anxiety never returned. He and Baxter are brothers and are always together. So I do recommend getting a puppy to help with Snickers' anxiety, because it worked so well for us. The two of them bring so much joy to our lives, that I can't imagine life without two (or more!) yorkies. Of course, getting another puppy is a big decision, and only you know if it's right for you.

Good luck!

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.
Amanda7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!