View Single Post
Old 11-08-2010, 03:19 PM   #2
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viviansnickers View Post

I have always wanted 2 dogs but have also heard that Snickers needs to be trained properly b/c the new doggy will take after Snick. Many people have told me a brother for Snick would/could help him a lot.

Snickers is AMAZING at his dog nanny's home. When she leaves him home alone at her home with her dogs, he never pees or poops. He is such a lover and just always wants to be with other people/dogs.
I do tend to agree in that adding a second dog when you have problems with the first is never a good idea... However, in this case, I think it definitely MAY help. I think it just depends on the dog individually. If you KNOW Snickers does well with other dogs at his nanny's home, then he probably very well will act the same at home. But you never know. A number of things could factor in... alot of times dogs will act a different way in a different place, so if Snick is used to acting this way in his home, he may continue to act that way regardless, simply because it's something he's been accustomed to doing in that specific location. If that makes sense.

Jackson, for example, is extremely nervous driving in my Jeep Patriot since we got into an accident in June where my car was totaled. I got a new Jeep Patriot in replacement but it's basically the same car. But I have a rental car for this past week and he got into it excitedly and acted like it was fun and something new.... so sometimes they make an association with one specific thing or place and they only act that way there.

But anyways, I DO tend to think a second dog would help in your situation. Dogs are naturally pack animals and DO tend to do better in pairs. Jackson became an only dog last summer after my moms dog (who lived with us) died and there was a definite change in his demeanor and still is. I'd love to add a second when the time and money situation is right because I love the way he lights up at my dads house when we stay for a few nights with their dogs.

Anyways I'm sorry; I'm kind of rambling! But I think you should go for it! I think Snick will be a happier dog for it.

I wanted to add-have you tried a few techniques to help ease the SA? Like picking up your keys randomly throughout the day, or putting your shoes on, or picking up your purse, yet NOT leaving? So he gets used to these things that could make him anxious before you leave. I know you say when you put him in his pen, he KNOWS your leaving. Put him his pen for 5-10 minutes one night when you're home and then just take him. So he's randomly seeing these things and it doesn't automatically mean you are leaving.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!